Monday, September 10, 2007

When buying a panino!

Category: Ordering food
Phrase: "Prosciutto cotto o crudo?"
Traslation: Cooked or cured ham?

I learned this phrase in Siena, when ordering a panino from a local shop. (It was delicious!) I always feel a little ignorant just wordlessly pointing to random sandwich ingredients or pizzas I want to order. So this time, I was pretty relieved, being in the prosciutto mood, and knowing the word for it. Proudly, I asked for "prosciutto". Then came the question: "Cotto o crudo?" I must have looked completely lost, but he took pity on me and proceeded to pull a cooked ham and cured ham (what I usually think of when I think "prosciutto") out of the display case and repeated "cotto" and "crudo" until I remembered both. So here's one more helpful phrase for those who wish to seem slightly less ignorant when ordering their panini!

No comments: