Thursday, September 6, 2007

Stalker reps via honest mixups.

Category: Daily Use.
Phrase: Ce vediamo domani.
Translation: See you tomorrow.

There is a clerk at the local Despar that Elice and I run into almost everyday, including the first day when there was a mix up about the bags. Since that infamous day, I'm afraid that the two of us already have a bit of a ridiculous rep at the store. On this particular day, after several weeks of build up 'Ciaos', I finally decided to try out some of my Italian with the clerk (who amazing does not speak English). As we were leaving, him and another worker came outside to wave goodbye to us. I was already walking away when I turned around to say, See you tomorrow, which I had forgotten how to say. So I walk back and ask, how do you say 'See you tomorrow'. Between the two of them, and their half-understanding English, they managed to think I was asking, 'When can I see you tomorrow?' So they told me, around one-thirty. Then gave me a big smile. So now, the whole store will no doubt think I am gearing up for a romantic grocery rendezvous with the clerk. In any case: if you want to say see you tomorrow, the phrase is, Ce vediamo domani. Although, please use with caution.

No comments: