Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Getting food to go

Category: Eating

Phrase: Porta via

Translation: Take away (to go)

Story: Once again, my post revolves around food. I decided to go to the forno (bakery) in the Campo for lunch today. As the clerk began packaging my prosciutto crudo e ficho panini (cured ham and fig sandwich) and budino di riso (rice pudding-like dessert), he said something in Italian I didn’t understand. I gave him my best ‘what did you say?’ look and he asked, “Take away?” After an overenthusiastic “Si”, I asked him to teach me how to say “take away” in Italian. Porta via. Porta via. Porta via. Hope you find it useful!

2 comments:

Vivian said...

Thanks! This will help me when I'm getting my coffee to go now!! =]

Fabiola said...

I adore your blog!
I'm in italy right now and trying to learn as much as I can, and your blog has been a super fun way to add new phrases to my vocabulary.

Grazie!